Search & Win

Saturday, March 26, 2011

cooking and other homemade things

I have always loved to cook. I am sure that my passion for cooking came from my grandmother who was an amazing cook. Many times I have wished that she would have still been cooking when I was old enough to want to learn everything she knew! Back in the day moms did everything and did not complain or think that it was too hard. If my grandmothers stayed home and got everything done, then I can too! I have a very old edition of Better Homes and Gardens cook book that was my grandmothers. They used to cook everything from scratch. The food was amazing. That got me thinking about what my family eats and what can I do to make it better for them. I decided that I was going to try to make everything that we eat out of a can or box from scratch. Yes, a bit overwhelming, but not that hard either! I started with canned soup. Just about ever meal I make has some form of canned soup. I found a great site that had a super easy recipe for cream of anything soup. Great! I made the cream of chicken and cream of mushroom versions. Very easy, not a lot of money to make them and it makes a lot! Now I just want to try to find one that is a little healthier! This is definitely healthier than the canned one, but I just want less of the heavy cream! Henry loves sweets! So, what can I do to let him still have what he likes, but just make it better for him! We tried a recipe for homemade poptarts. They were awesome! And so easy to make. I was surprised at home much they really tasted like the poptarts out of a box! I can make up a big batch and freeze them. I also found a recipe for homemade gummys. They are basically just jello and my kids eat them up! So much better than packaged gummy bears and these don't get stuck in your teeth! Another plus! I have also made: white bread cinnamon bread-I usually make these into muffin size rolls instead of a big loaf refried beans taco seasoning graham crackers ketchup Cooking from scratch is not as hard as I thought! And the kids love helping me. Teaching my kids how to cook has been so much fun. After we make something, Henry always wants to take whatever it is to Yaya and Papaw! Today we are making cinnamon bread and poptarts for our breakfasts this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment